Wednesday, 14 October 2009

Peanut and potato soup

This one is also a new recipe that I took the recipe from 'The New Soup Bible' by Anne Sheasby. I was curious about the combination and you know what? It works


Comments and substitutions
1. If you're a sissy when it comes to hot stuff I'd advise adding less chillies
2. I used a new potatoes - I like them and I had a bunch of them.
3. I used peanut butter instead of peanuts (I don't really have a food processor...)
4. I used less liquid but that's because I like thick soups
5. I processed the stock and vegetables together

Ingredient
  • 60ml peanut oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 fresh red chillies, seeded and chopped
  • 200g canned chopped tomatoes
  • 150g cups of unsalted peanuts
  • 1.5l stock
  • 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro to garnish
  • salt & pepper
Directions
1. Heat oil over low heat, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes

2. Add garlic, pepper, tomatoes, potatoes, and chillies. Stir well until coated. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until softened

3.meanwhile toast peanuts by cooking them in a large dry frying pan. Move them around until golden

4. Set 2 tbsp aside and process the rest in food processor until finely ground. add the vegetables and process until smooth.

5. Return mixture to the pan and add stock. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

6. Pour in bowl and garnish with cilantro and peanuts



1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I'm trying some recipes from this book at the moment too, and this one's on my list for next week.

    I recently made the Castilian Garlic Soup (opposite page from Portuguese which I see you made!) - I think there is a typo in the amount of paprika: 20ml/4tbsp... I put in 4 tbsp and then read 20ml and wondered if maybe I'd just put in 3x too much... It was good, but maybe a little heavy on the paprika :)

    I also made the Grandfather's soup, which I thought looked neat because of the dumpling noodles, but it was a bit boring.

    ReplyDelete