Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Portuguese Garlic Soup

This is one of the cases where I didn't exactly follow the recipe because I was just a bit lazy (it was the third soup of the day).

The results sort of reminded me of Bridget Jones' blue string soup... It was not a bad soup but I have to admit I'm not keen on thin soup - I'm more of a hearty-so-thick-the-spoon-can-stand-on its-own kind of gal.



Comments & Substitutions:
1. I was too lazy to separate leaves and stalks so I cooked the cilantro whole in the water - which after processing turned the liquid into a very bright green...
2. I didn't removed the crust from the bread - I like the crust!
3. Use good olive oil

Ingredients
  • 25g fresh coriander, leaves and stalks separated
  • 1.5l of broth or water
  • 5-6 garlic cloves
  • 6 eggs
  • 275g day old bread, most of the crust removed and torn into bite-size pieces
  • salt and pepper
  • 90ml olive oil
Instructions
1. Boil cilantro stalks in water or broth. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes then process in blender and strain.
2.Crush garlic with 1tsp of salt, add a cup of the hot broth then return to the pan.
3. Meanwhile poach eggs in a pan of simmering water for 3-4 minutes until set. Remove and reserve on warm plate.
4. Bring soup back to the boil, adjust seasoning, add cilantro leaves and remove from heat.
5. Place bread in six soup bowls, drizzle olive oil. Ladle the soup and stir. Add the poached eggs and serve immediately.


1 comment:

  1. It seems a very good one! It makes me think of my dad. He is from Barcelona. Thanks for sharing. Did you have other recipes like this one? I also love arabic food..

    ReplyDelete