Thursday, 15 October 2009

Spiced Lentil Soup with Parsley Cream

I love red lentils but I've never had the processed in a soup so I was curious to try this recipe. It makes for a very heart soup and the colors are lovely.



Comments and substitutions
1. I'm not a big fan of cumin so I put less of it. I think next time I'll forgo it completely...
2. I used less liquid but that's because I like thick soups
3. I didn't use the smoked bacon hock as I'm vegetarian
4. I didn't use shallots
5. I blitzed the parsley with the yogurt. I also think that cilantro would work really well.


Ingredients
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp of coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 smoked bacon hock
  • 1.2l stock
  • 275g red lentils
  • 400g canned chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3 shallots, thinly sliced
For the parsley cream
  • 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
  • 150 ml Greek yogurt
  • salt & pepper
Directions
1. Heat frying pan and add coriander & cumin seeds. roast over high heat, moving them over until they start to smell. Crush in mortar and pestle and add turmeric
2. Heat oil in pan, add onion & garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes till soft. Add spice mixture and cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
3. Place bacon in pan and pour stock. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add red lentils and cook for 20 minutes or until lentils and bacon are soft.
5. Stir in the canned tomatoes and add another 5 minutes

6. Remove bacon from soup. Let it cool and then remove the meat from the hock, discarding skin and fat.
7. Meanwhile puree the soup until almost smooth. Return the soup into a clean pan and add the meat.
8. Heat oil in frying pan fry the shallots for 10 minutes until golden and remove using a slotted spoon.
9. To make the parsley cream mix the chopped parsley and the yogurt. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
10. Ladle soup into bowls, add a dollop of parsley cream to each and pile some crispy shallots on top. serve at once.



1 comment:

  1. OH MY - this sounds INCREDIBLE!! I love cumin and coriander - yum-o! I'm gonna copy this down to try!! HUGE fan of lentils!! You come up with the BEST stuff!!

    ReplyDelete